Ms. Suzy DeVore is a professional actress, director, and theatre professor at Hillsborough Community College. Each fall semester, she provides students the opportunity for participation in a major theatrical production. This semester’s production, however, is seemingly a unique one. Her class is creating a student-devised show, meaning that the students will be creating an original script and starring in the show they crafted. In a brief conversation with Ms. DeVore, she mentioned that this semester’s show will revolve around a veteran’s inspirational and touching story.
My story will be about HCC’s student-devised fall production: how/why it was created, and what students should expect from the show. America’s veterans always have an admirable story worth sharing, which is what the play is seemingly about. Also, the play’s performance dates is in November, which is time relevant to HCC students. Because it is a play performed and created by HCC students, other HCC students will be interested to see the show and have an overview of how they created it. Also, many students have family/friends who serve/have served the country, and they can relate to that as well.
As far as gathering the information I’ll need, Devore is my main source whom I will get information from, as well as students who have seen previous shows and/or performing in the current show. I need to know why they are performing this piece about veterans, how they plan to create the performance, what to expect from the show, and the performance dates. The questions I will be asking are:
- When and how did you become involved with theatre?
- What was your favorite theatre experience/production you’ve been apart of? Ex. Acting/directing.
- What inspired you to offer a student-devised production this semester?
- Where is the balance you and students have for dispersing roles/tasks to create the production?
- Why did you choose the theme of military service for the play?
- Have you or someone close to you been affected by military service?
- What impact are you looking for this show to have? Ex. Message, audience reactions?
- How will this production differ from your classes previous shows?
- When are the show dates? And where can students/families purchase tickets?
- Is there anything else you would like to share?
- What is your role in creating the fall production?
- How do you think the audience will react?
- In your opinion, what makes this original play different from any other play?
I’ve used the web to gather information about the director, Ms. DeVore, but I will also use students previous experiences to gather information.